23/05/2011--CHICAGO--In comments made to the Kemetia Tribune within the last few hours, His Sovereign Majesty King Adam I of Kemetia has called the international response to the Sudanese armed incursion and take-over of the town of Abyei "a complete and utter farce" and that words and condemnations did not go far enough to reproach the Sudanese forces for their act of aggression against South Sudan.
While Sudan claims that the incursion and subsequent takeover was a defensive response to a raid conducted by South Sudanese troops on Thursday, which the King strongly condemned as an obstacle to peace, His Sovereign Majesty explained that "the government of the North is clearly using one terrible incident to justify a disproportionate and crushing response."
The Kemetian Government has been engaged in communications with the Government of South Sudan since early 2011, although bilateral relations have not been established, and nor did the Ministry of Foreign Affairs seem optimistic about establishing relations when asked by the Tribune earlier today. "We are not being received warmly by the new Sudan", said a Ministry official, who declined to be named. The King did not comment extensively on relations, saying only that the untimely receiving of messages had been a problem when dealing with South Sudan.
Nevertheless, His Sovereign Majesty reiterated his commitment to preserving peace in the region, and allowing for the democratic self-determination of the South Sudanese. "It is absolutely imperative that this atrocious action not be allowed to derail the referendum and scheduled independence of South Sudan. All nations should oppose the North Sudanese invasion strongly, and with further punitive measures, if necessary," said King Adam I.
During his talk with the Tribune, His Sovereign Majesty was also pushed for answers as to why the Government had not conducted parliamentary elections yet, a problem which has become a rather serious issue for the King and the Lloyd-Davies Administration. "It is not for me to direct the electoral process of the nation," he explained, saying that it was "up to the elected government of the day and the Electoral Commission to come to an agreement about the timing for our first parliamentary elections under the 2010 Constitution." The Electoral Commission had previously stated that elections were to be held on 14th May, but has since delayed them until mid-June. The Tribune was not able to reach the Commission for comment.